Skip to main content

Books In My Life As Of Late

Books, specifically audiobooks, are my faithful companion. Each evening I am put to bed with my iPad and an audiobook queued up. I fall asleep to a story which keeps my mind occupied and out of dangerous territory.

Today I finish "reading" Kathy Reichs' "Seizure", about four intrepid kids who've had their DNA crossed with wolf DNA (read "Virals" for that story), Who go on a hunt for pirate's booty to save their parent's jobs and to keep their "pack" together. It's a great little romp on the east coast, Charlestown, South Carolina.

I've also read the Night Huntress series and followed the exploits of undead Bones and half-breed Kathryn "Kat" Crawfield. Including "Up From the Grave" By Jeaniene Frost. "Shiver", "Linger", and "Forever" by Maggie Stiefvater was a trilogy about kids getting a virus by being bitten by other infected wolves. The characters are likeable, hateable, and in between. The ending is mostly happy but since there's a new volume out, maybe not so much.  I cannot wait to get "Sinner" in my queue.

James Patterson is back on my hot list since I've rediscovered the bird kids. I read "Max" last year and loved it but dropped the series. I found it again at the library and read "School's Out Forever" and am re-hooked. Now, I have to go back and read "Angel" and "Fang". 

My sister, Renee, turned me on to both the Infernal Devices series as well as the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Most of which I read in blessed hardcover when I was able. This year I heard "Clockwork Prince". Need I say that I loved it? She also talked up "Cinder", "Scarlet", and "Cress" by Marissa Meyer which are based loosely upon the fairy tales, "Cinderella", "Little Red Riding Hood", and "Rapunzel" with a sci-fi twist and entertwined. They are brilliantly crafted.

Additionally, I revisited Stephen King by listening to another installment of his magnum opus, the Dark Tower series, "the Wastelands". Might I say, "Really?! "? And "WTF? ".  Who ends a long series like this with a request that if enough readers clamor for another book he might write it?  I guess I better find out if he wrote another or if he left us hanging.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my