Skip to main content

Ground Control to Major Tom...

The classic David Bowie rock ballad is running through my head as I sit in my power wheelchair with my v-pap strapped to my face. I mean, how space age is this?! And I'm communicating with human beings all over the planet from my Tobii.

When I was a kid, the Viet Nam war was regularly on the news.  The Bay of Pigs was a reality. There was no such thing as a reality shows. Astronauts walked on the moon and we watched it on TV. We stood up at the beginning of class and put our right hand over our heart and pledged allegiance to the flag and the United States of America.

I watched The Nightly News with Walter Cronkite, Dragnet, Lawrence Welk,  Hee Haw, and Laugh In with my grandfather. I watched Sesame Street, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, the Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Wild Kingdom, Disney, and lots of cartoons. With my mom, I watched Dark Shadows, Peyton Place, Days of our Lives, Twilight Zone, and movies, especially scary ones.

You know what's scary? All the things we used to be scared of are no longer scary. Like the Vietnamese, Russians, and African Americans. Mystery lifted, fear dispelled. Aliens, okay fear of aliens is box office magic, but we feel pretty safe from life "out there". War, yes war is a worry, but  it's different these days. We hate the toll taken of soldier's lives, but some are oblivious or focused on the economics of war..Otherwise, war feels more like a nasty Xbox or PSP game these days, and it's not.

It seems as if the biggest fear now is threats to our health and well being. Ebola, enterovirus 64, e-coli, flu.... Where's ALS in this mix? Ground control to Major Tom... We are dying out here...A slow /fast  death, depending upon your point of view...No known cause...No known cure...Certain death... Cruel twist of fate, paralyzing the healthy and active.

Major Tom, can you help?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my