Skip to main content

Worry Stone

It's amazing all the things I worry over in the course of the day. Some worries seem so legitimate, such as when certified nursing assistants (CNA) manage to hurt me when performing routine caregiving, such as transfers into and out of bed or when they are changing my brief (also known as an adult diaper). (Yep, I wear them, laugh it up now and get over it. It's another grim fact of life when one lives in a nursing home. It's not that I'm incontinent but the aides are spread so thin that they cannot whisk me directly to the toilet... ). Anyway, doing normal things can be painful when aides are poorly trained or merely ignorant of the physical deterioration of ALS.

I worry that I'm not getting enough liquids in a day to stay hydrated. I should have 3000 ml/day. But I'm lucky if I drink 500 ml. My supplements are administered through my feeding tube with water. I am not sure how much plus, I sweat...A LOT...I'm in an overheated environment and I sit in a power wheelchair with a vinyl covering. I keep bringing my concerns to my nurse on duty but I don't see a concerted effort to keep my hydration level up and I'm thirsty and dry all the time.

I worry about what will be served for meals and whether or not I will be able to eat it. So many meals I get contain items I've had to remove from my diet due to progressing dysphasia because of ALS. I love and adore food but my love affair is for good food, healthy food, and food from diverse ethnicities. Not processed, canned, nor bland frozen or mushy foods. Unfortunately, nursing home fare is pretty much frozen, canned, and reconstituted blandness. Thankfully, I've had a bit of help in that area for the past six months.

.Other worries are more vague. I worry about how I will be remembered after my death. While I subscribe to the belief that "How others feel about me, is none of my business", I still care that I leave the majority of acquaintances, friends, and family with pleasant thoughts of me. While I know that some won't have good thoughts, I know there is not a damn thing I can do about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...