Skip to main content

A Current Overview of Me


I am not-so-independent but wish I were more so.  Stopped driving due to the rapid onset and pervasive weakness especially in my right-dominate hand.  Sold my Harley Davidson Deluxe and Subaru Outback, shopping for an economical wheelchair van (Dodge or Chrysler?).  Legs getting weak, balance is not-so-good but I do all I can to preserve what I have: good nutrition, supplements, water aerobics, arthosage and manual ligament therapy.

I'm getting limited care at the University of Washington in Seattle but get nowhere when I've mentioned voice-banking.  Hmmm.  Considering Virginia Mason as most of my PALS friends get fabulous care. We are active in our local ALS support group.

I am on social security disability and Medicare (which I've paid into all of my working years) but I lost my job at the onset of my symptoms.  Was working as an accountant for a small mfg business who tried to coerce me to commit blatant fraud.  I got super-stressed as I held to my integrity.  My fingers seized (odd or God?) and I filed an injury claim, thinking carpal tunnel, (that I repaid when the ALS was uncovered).

My husband and I have been married for 13 years and each have one grown daughter from our respective previous marriages.  We maintain a modest two bedroom, two bathroom, manufactured home for the enjoyment and comfort of one spoiled cat.  My husband keeps working to keep us afloat and in good healthcare benefits.  Luckily, we've lived below our means and shouldn't lose any necessities due to this disease.  Thank goodness for the ALSA loan closet which really helps.  Home mods are next up for us.  Need a bathroom remodel, doors widened, and a rear entrance off the master suite. Currently taking bids.  That's new for me as a dedicated DIY person.

I have a strong faith in God and long ago accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior but I am untethered from a specific church.  I recently reconnected with my favorite pastor who was instrumental in my sobriety and married my husband and I.  Bittersweet to tell him about the ALS.  Faith has been a deeply personal and semi-private matter for me.  Without my faith, I would not be sober, married, or have the strength to face down this disease.  I am not much for quoting scripture so let's not go there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...