Skip to main content

Wanna Make God Laugh? Tell Him Your Plans.

Back in April 2012, I detailed a deteriorating health condition that was causing loss of strength, muscle spasms, and a whole lot of angst surrounding a decision I made to file a Labor & Industries claim.  On September 11th, while our country was re-counting our losses when those airplanes hit the twin towers, I experienced my own personal 9-Eleven.  My third EMG administered by a neurologist revealed that my supposed "nerve pinch in my neck" was much more grave than I could possibly realize...He told me that I had ALS or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (a.k.a. Lou Gehrig's disease).

If you are unaware of the details of this disease then you are not alone.  I only knew that it was a death sentence and I was emotionally "knocked off my feet".  My anguish knew no bounds as I tried to catch my breathe so I could drive myself home.  I walked into my doctor's office holding out hope that they would locate the errant nerve root and fix it even if it meant the dreaded surgery so I could get on the road to recovery that I might be able to continue with my life and find a new job.  (Oh, I was fired from my job for filing the L&I claim which is supposedly illegal in the state of Washington)

Needless to say, it turned out that my condition was not a result of an injury or occupational disease.  However, my doctor says that he can see why I pursued my line of reasoning as it absolutely presented as a severely pinched nerve in my cervical spine.

Anyway, my plans for the rest of my life did not include loss of independence, work and income.  Nor did I plan to have to modify my home, lifestyle, you name it.  Wheelchairs, pillows, breathing tubes, and braces were not my accessories of choice.  There, I've said it.  That said, somebody's gotta get it, I guess.  And I'm fairly certain that nothing happens in God's world by mistake.  I intend to make the best of my situation and positively touch as many lives as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?