Skip to main content

Toxins In My Life

Where on earth did I pick up ALS?  Some say sporadic ALS may be caused by toxin build-up from our environment.  I'd like to chronicle my exposures as I understand them.

I did not serve in the military but I was a Navy brat, moving from place to place.  Some of the suspicious places we lived would be any military housing and we lived in some lulus!  Inadequate navy housing located near Signal Hill in Long Beach, California was a filthy installation, riddled with cockroaches.  Bug bombs were a common ritual and the clean-up was performed by yours truly as a grade schooler.  I remember the scent and taste of the insecticide as we were required to scrub using elbow grease, a rag, and a bucket of water.  The place was surrounded by oil wells and we drank tap water exclusively.  Additionally, we lived in Cabrillo Naval Housing, Tierra Santa Naval Housing and a string of cheap apartments where we always battled cockroaches with aerosol poisons.

Throughout my life I have been a cleaner.  Starting at ten, against my will and under the heading of chores, I began using chemical cleaners to clean floors, walls, tubs, sinks, and toilets.  For the most part it was Comet, Lysol, Windex, Pledge, and Clorox bleach.  As an adult I kept up the habit and graduated to "Scrubbing Bubbles", Clorox Cleaner, and others.

My mother, biological father, a stepfather, grandmother, and grandfather all smoked cigarettes.  They smoked heavily in the house, in the car, and most certainly in our presence.  I reeked so badly of cigarettes as a kid my aunt laundered everything in my suitcase when I came out for a visit.  Anectdotically, I do not smoke nor have I ever smoked.  All of my siblings smoke and lots of friends smoked around me.

Amalgam fillings are suspicious and I've had four of them for many years as I had poor dental hygiene and no dental care as a military dependent.  I have also had a few root canals.  Today I understand these to be slow poison in my system.  Furthermore, I have lived in places that fluoridated their water and I have used fluoride toothpaste almost exclusively. My dental hygiene is greatly improved.

I've used cosmetics since I was 13-years-old, pilfering Avon testers from my mother.  I've also used a combination of off-the-shelf make-up (Max Factor, Revlon, Physician's Formula) through my twenties, changing to Merle Norman, followed by Mary Kay cosmetics for the past twenty years.  I've also painted my nails and used acetone polish remover regularly.  I have been a girly-girl most of my life.  I must also mention aerosol hairspray rich in those nasty propellants.

Most recently, I have battled my weight and consumed many diet products containing asparatame over the past 15-20 years to include Sweet & Low and Splenda.

While I'm clean and sober over sixteen years, my addiction led me to ingest many chemicals in the form of alcoholic beverages over a twenty year period.  I also used marijuana sporadically.  Drug use included cough syrup with codeine (at 15) barbiturates (short-term sporadic at 18 years old), cocaine use (twice at 18), one acid trip (also at age 18), one sample of "crank" (at 32).  As an idiotic kid, I "huffed" gasoline and Pam (R) cooking spray a few times on a dare.

 Additionally, I've used air fresheners, Febreeze and others; carpet cleaners and fresheners, dish soaps, Jet Dry, dishwasher detergents, laundry detergents, bleach, pre-spotters. I've applied many products directly to my skin assuming them to be benign. Lotions, oils, self tanners, exfoliants, shave creams, waxes, shampoos, conditioners, detanglers, mousse, volumnizers, shines, bleach, and dyes, all touched my skin and hair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...