Skip to main content

ALS Appointment Update

The good news is that my FRS (Functional Rating Scale) remained the same at 29. Bad-ish news is that my lung function FVC (Forced Vital Capacity) went from 110% in January 2013 to 98% in April (today).

What's really going on? Head-to-Toe: Breathing is good, swallowing is mostly good (must be mindful, avoiding popcorn, small pills do not trigger swallowing), no drooling. Woo-hoo!

Cannot write (right-handed), fingers curl inward and tremor or trigger upon effort to use, much atrophy and muscle spasming, cannot raise right hand/arm, "frozen shoulder" resolved through massage therapy. Left hand beginning to atrophy and lose strength and dexterity. Employing speech recognition software to "write" with computer.

I walk with assistance, cane or walker. Painfully slow on stairs and shaky. Cannot recover from falls. Use power wheelchair in my home. No wheelchair van, yet. Can get severe muscle spasms in thighs, calves, and feet.

Eating requires assistance to cut food but I can feed myself with special utensils. Drinking using small light cups and narrow waterbottles. Restrooming requires some assistance.

Due to my level of progression, we have a friend moving in to help with caregiving around May.

In case you were wondering, Life is STILL good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...