Skip to main content

Choking on the Blood

My mother always said that family would stick with you until the end. This was in response to my obvious preference of friends over family when I was but a teenager.  I thought it was bullshit back then yet another ploy to try to get me under strict control.  But secretly, part of me desperately wanted to believe. And so I did.

As a young adult, when life would kick me in the teeth, I would pick up the phone to talk to my mom.  Did it ever really help? No.  Most of the time it was painfully obvious that she would much rather sit smoking cigarettes, watching her daytime soaps, drinking her Pepsi's.  Where was the good advice?  Where was the tender understanding?  My anger and my rage grew over her apparent indifference.

As a thirty-something divorced mother, one that entered recovery for alcoholism, I realized that my mother did the best that she was able with the tools that she had.  After years of recovery, I realized that she was human and had a limited attention span.  Later still, breathing down the neck of 50, I am diagnosed with a terminal illness and ask for help. Once more she is impotent and unable to give it.

Am I angry? No. 

We place so much pressure on our mothers to catch us when we fall.  And why?  What on earth did my dad ever do for me? Where was his good advice and tender understanding?  And today, with the same disease sapping energy from my limbs, siphoning breath from my lungs...Where is this family that they spoke of?

I'll tell you where mine is and it's not a pretty picture.  My mothers suffering from fibromyalgia, among many other health disorders.  It turns out she's been on prescription drugs since her 30s. Kind of explains a lot.  My biological father has been out of the picture for many years, raising a whole other family.  There just wasn't any bonding there. My stepfather has always been the stoic one. The one left holding the financial bag. The one that I hated as a child and always excused as an adult.   Today, he offers help with his lips but when I actually called with the smallest of favors the answer was "I'm sorry Tina, but no."  

My brother is no help whatever as he cannot be trusted to tell anything close to the truth.  The sister closest in age to me, and the one who shares my blood, offered flowery promises of how she would have my back through all the trials and tribulations that this disease dished out, including overseeing my husband to be sure he carries out my wishes.  A few months later her negative attitude left me no option but to place a boundary effectively removing her from my life.  My last sibling, another sister, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer, third stage.  I thought, well, at least I have one decent family member. But truly, I have watched her not be able to put down the cigarettes that are killing her. It is difficult to watch the denial process blind her to all that is detrimental to her life.

Am I angry?  No.

But I do feel a bit sorry for myself to have been born into such a defective family that is incapable of being there for me in my hour of need..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?