Skip to main content

Imagine a Human Experiment

Imagine a disease that depletes your muscles so thoroughly that your body collapses on itself, suffocating you. A disease that progresses so swiftly that there is no equilibrium or status quo. A disease with symptoms so diverse that caregivers cannot keep ahead of the declines, putting you at risk (of being killed, not just dying). Imagine a disease that will likely snuff out your dreams, hopes, and bank account, Including that of your surviving spouse. Imagine having no treatment and no cure.

Imagine if the unthinkable happened to you.

Imagine if you were healthy, non-smoking, non-drinking, cooked low fat, exercised, and were mindful of your environment. Would you feel betrayed to learn that your disease may well have been caused by toxins in products we use day to day?

I am outraged!  I watched "the Human Experiment" narrated by Sean Penn and I'm a true believer. Even though the movie did not name ALS as one of the diseases caused by toxic chemicals in our environment, many indicators point to it. I was diagnosed with ALS weeks before my 50th birthdate. A  few weeks before .that, my baby sister was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (cancer of the plasma cell). She was in her mid-30's.Granted, my sister is a cigarette smoker, and we know cigarettes are loaded with toxins and carcinogens, but I would've thought she'd eventually get lung cancer, COPD, or emphysema.  What's really amazing is the sister in the middle of us, also a heavy cigarette smoker, is thus far, cancer and ALS-free.

I worry for my 29 year old daughter, who is also a healthy non-smoker, non-drinker, who exercises and takes care of herself. Will she be able to become pregnant? Will she end up with a devastating illness, like cancer or ALS? The price for living in our privileged society is increasingly steep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?