Skip to main content

Weekend of the Daughter Visit

I said it before and I'll say it again, I Have more fun with my daughter even when we do, not much. I never left my room, and yet, we covered a lot of ground. She transferred photos into my photo frames (a project backburnered for a month), ordered my eyeglasses online (backburnered 3 months), and sent out a customized Facebook campaign notice for the upcoming ALS Walk for a Cure. All while we visited and enjoyed each others company. Anyway, I enjoyed her company while I got to hear her stories of her life with her boyfriend and my grand dog.

Apparently, my grand dog rides on their paddle boards and goes crazy barking whenever faced with sea lions and much to their horror, he jumps into the bay to attack. He's oblivious to his disadvantage with his diminutive size. They could gobble him down quick. Yeah,  I still have a grand dog, no grandchild, yet.

.Also, good news!  My sister, Dawn, the one I keep at arms length, has a second chance at family life. Her daughter that she gave up for adoption years ago, got in touch with her. Wow! I'm happy for her, but I will be happy from a distance. With me, she is just too free to be abusive. I doubt she'll show that side to an adult child. I saw a photo and she is beautiful. She's a little younger than my daughter. I was present at her birth and tried to persuade my sister to let me adopt her. My husband, Scott, reluctantly agreed but my sister refused. It broke my heart.

Years later, we spoke of it. My sister said she couldn't handle the thought of me raising her daughter. We laid that to rest but, truly, I always thought she'd rather trust a stranger with her flesh and blood than me. I never really understood. I'm grateful today to know that she made it happy and healthy to adulthood. I may never meet her but I'm happy I lived long enough to see this day and know she's here.

Daughters are a wonderful thing. Mine has been a joy. Not so much in those tween years when she judged me harshly as the sole reason our family split up. And we could only buy her clothes at The Limited and if I said I liked something, guaranteed she didn't.

Despite this, there's been no better constant in my life. She makes me feel old, laughing at my 80's garb and hair. She makes me feel young, through music. She horrifies me with "Jackass", "Honey Boo Boo", "Las Vegas Jail" and other trash tv selections. She makes me proud with... So much...Grade point averages, her career success, her lifestyle, her beauty, poise, intelligence, loyalty, her creativity, her choices, and the assurance that genetically, I will live on.

I sat here eating Maui Banana Bread, and Green Enchiladas that she made this weekend. But, I recall Buche d' Noelle, Teriyaki Steak, and one very special Christmas dinner. My daughter is an accomplished cook.She is also an accomplished knitter and a great pet mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...