Skip to main content

Fart Face

Contrary to popular belief, I do not save up my gas to sadistically torture my caregivers.

I smile when I break wind because I always have. Like any eight-year-old boy, and some little girls, I find bodily functions hilarious. My family was so poor, that our main source of entertainment was each other. When you eat commodities, you get powdered eggs, powdered milk, and a humongous chunk of fart-producing, fake cheese.

A quiet night in front of the tube, was, invariably, interrupted by an SBD, or a ripper. What is an SBD? An insidious noxious cloud that explodes inside the nostrils, inspiring either retreat or battle stations. Within our family, it was battle or die.

You may be thinking that this was a mere pastime among siblings; you would be wrong to exclude the parental units. Dad was a sneak attacker, waiting until us kids were mesmermized by a television show... Rrrrrrrip! We'd get an aromatic flutterblast right at eye level. Mom wasn't quite so disgusting but neither was she blameless.

It was agreed that I was the reigning champion by the time I left home. I'm not sure how but I managed to marry another champion despite hiding my, er skillset. And somehow, we spawned an adorable grand champion. I still recall, in great detail, the day she acquired invisible stink.

It was a typical, temperate, southern California day, in the Von's parking lot. We had just packed the car with groceries, her father and I, when both of us smelled a God-awful stench. I looked, accusingly, at her father. He shook his head, no. He inclined his head toward me, asking if it was me. I shook my head negative. We looked down at the chattering, little, golden-haired cherub in her carseat. We were so proud.

In the latter years of my life, I learned the secret to my success. Lactose-intolerance and a dogged adherence to a diet rich in cheese, milk, and yogurt! From that point, dairy got substituted with soy-based products, soy lattes, Silk, almond milk, and vegan cheeses.

Now I'm lying in my hospice bed, attended to by caregivers. I lay in this bed 24/7, getting weaker by the day. I've ceased being abstinent from dairy. I eat whatever I can, chocolate, macaroni and cheese, sushi, whatever I can manage. I'm steadily losing weight, thus whatever makes a calorie. Unfortunately, since I'm paralyzed, I cannot shift to the side to manage a one-cheek-sneak.

So now you know why I pass gas, break wind, and blast ass, when you roll me over. I cannot do it without you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...