Skip to main content

In Sickness and Health...

Today I am sick. Most likely with a bad cold and dear God, I'm certain that nobody has ever been sicker. (sarcasm) But seriously, sickness is a lonely business. At least it is in my household. I just want to be babied and coddled but my husband has flown the coop. He, of course, has legitimate concerns. Although he's been laid off and doesn't have to be anywhere, we are involved in a self-directed remodel of our rental home in a different county. He has laid about for many days without any attacks of conscience but after I spent one day at home with chills, fever, and post-nasal drip, he is gone, Baby, gone.


As I sit here in my library quiet house, I am remembering one of my lesser, albeit important, reasons for getting married. I detest being alone, especially when sick. Oh, there are times when it's pretty delicious to be solitary and pursue trivial pursuits of fancy when I'm well. But when I'm sick, I really look to my mate to soothe my feelings of separateness which illness brings out in me.

Perhaps it's a guy thing but I ask you, why is it that he can recite "love, honor, and OBEY" at the drop of a hat but conveniently forgets the part about "in sickness and in health"? Just some thoughts as I sit here feeling sorry for myself. Call me a wah-mbulance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...