Skip to main content

September Happenings

Lots in store for me this month. One of the activities the home has planned is a day at the Washington State Fair. I plan to go if for no other reason, I love the fair food. Scones, deep-fried pickles, popcorn balls (for my husband), cotton candy, Darigold flavored milk, lemonade, are among my faves. Additionally, my husband's union gave us tickets to the Point Defiance Zoo. That is a great activity for me, room to roam in the power chair and animals to gawk at.

The second Sunday of the month is the regularly scheduled meeting of ALS Association Support Group. That one activity is the best lifeline to sanity and positivity I have in my arsenal. We compare notes on where we're at, what we're doing, what resources are available, and add humor and levity to the mix. We have slow progressors as well as fast ones and unfortunately we have to say goodbye to some. But who better to say goodbye to you than the very people who have walked the same path with you.

This is also my birth month as well as my 18-year sober anniversary. That means a new coin and hopefully a really good piece of cake. Maybe I can talk someone into a trip to Trophy Cupcakes. That would be epic! And, September 13th I will be participating in the ALS Walk for a Cure at Seward Park with my family and friends. At 10 am we will begin walking (or riding as I shall be in my power chair) a 2.5-mile paved path. If you would like to join us, log onto www.ALSA.Org and join 'Tina's Team'. We would love to have you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...