Skip to main content

Sleep Wake

Sleep, I've been sleeping a lot more lately. Generally, I wake up or am awakened at six or seven in the morning. Next is my breakfast around eight. At times, I will nap in between. Lunch is noon and I've been napping many days from breakfast to lunch (that is new for me). Sometimes I don't bother waking for lunch either. Dinner is five and while I am normally awake, I frequently opt out. Saving my appetite for more palatable fare.  And saving my energy for more engaging company, like my husband or the evening aides who have known me since January and know I am of sound mind.

Part of my extra sleeping has to do with increased fatigue due to the ALS, but part is due to lack of stimulation. The company is not very interesting and the food is cardboard institutional. Additionally, I lack adequate outside access. Looking out the window is just not enough especially if that window doesn't open or looks upon graffiti-laden fences. If I were home, I would be sitting on the front deck, watching the birds in the trees, smelling the neighbor's barbecue, listening to the kids playing, mowers mowing, and dogs barking. Instead, I smell feces and disinfectant and reheated foodstuffs. I live amongst half-dressed, mentally-impaired persons.And while I don't mind mingling and making life better for all of us, I need to fill up my cup, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...