Skip to main content

Grand Delusions

I may pass sooner than later. I'm having terrible spasms throughout my organs and around my heart. I wake up with my whole body quivering. Much to my dismay, nobody seems to notice. 
Fasciculations herald the death of the muscles, in my personal observations. Therefore, I figure I will likely die suddenly from a catastrophic organ failure.
I know I'm paralyzed but I'm unnerved when my body seizes. I gasp for air almost every time I'm changed, as I'm being lowered, my body stretches, then my diaphragm spasms big time.  Though I'm gasping, caregivers continue to lower my body to proceed with changing, without realizing it, they are increasing pressure on the chest, with the weight of gravity. Instead, it makes more sense to raise the head of the bed, to reduce pressure on the chest, then pause until the spasm (gasping) passes.
This was my state of mind yesterday evening.  Luckily, I got out of my head and shared with my husband and one of my favorite, and most trusted nurses.Apparently, I am more likely to pass from respiratory failure. Oh yeah!  I forgot. Interesting to note that I am still able to make shit up, believe it, and run with it! By the way, the part about raising my head up when I'm gasping is true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?