Skip to main content

The Worst

319What's the worst aspect of having ALS?

Is it the continual loss of motor skills?  One day you can no longer lift your own finger? Hand? Arm? Or scratch your own nose when it itches? Or wipe it when it runs? Or pet your own cat? Or hold your husband's hand? Or button your own blouse? Or unzip your favorite blue jeans? Or wipe your own behind? Notice the new stilt in your gait? Trip over air to faceplant on the kitchen floor?  The front porch? Graduate to a cane? Rolling walker? Then a manual wheelchair? A fancy motorized wheelchair?

Is it the falling away of friends and family who don't understand my disease process? Admittedly, ALS, amyotrophic lateral  sclerosis, is a scary disease, it's a terminal illness, there are no pluses to this disease, you shrink, shrivel, slobber and, ultimately, die anyway. They are right to be afraid but you are not contagious. And you need support and effective advocacy.

The few that visit, are put off by the out of sync speech pattern of the AAC device, or the lack of visual contact, the speech device requires to operate. Worse, the frustration experienced when the device fails to perform at all. Which occurs more often than the manufacturers would have you believe.

Is it the pain?
At different times the pain varies. As spasticity increases, so increases pain. Charlie horses are excruciating, constipation sucks, diarrhea blows! 

It's interesting how painful it feels to not move. Poor circulation hurts. Tendons and ligaments shrink up and cause pain. Even short periods of time, sedentary, cause pain.

As muscles atrophy, everything destabilizes, aches and pains are more pronounced and injuries occur more frequently. For example, a brief change causes the spine to get wrenched, when turning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?