Skip to main content

Feed the Beast

First and foremost, it is important to know exactly what to do to keep me safe.
  1. Bring a cupful of water and a toothette (swab) to the food table. This can be used to moisten my mouth, to move food from the roof of my mouth or to remove food. 
  2. Be prepared to call for additional help from nursing in the event of a choking incident. Pull the call light cord from the wall. 
  3. Make certain patient is upright. For me, 90-degrees is unsafe for respiration. 
  4. Temperature check. Touch food to patient's bottom lip whenever presented with hot, fresh food.  
  5. Spicy factor. Spicy or overly sour foods can produce excessive saliva.
  6. No thin liquids by mouth. Jello turns into a thin liquid.
  7. No mixed textures. Soups are the usual suspects.
  8. Small bites. 
  9. No multiples. Loading the spoon or fork with small pieces of food creates a hazard. I can't track. 
  10. No flat pieces. Sliced cheeses, meats, pickles, etc. Can't track within my mouth. 
  11. Use gravies, sauces, and condiments to bind food together to make a bolus. 
  12. Avoid overly thick items, like thick yogurts and puddings. 
  13. Check for pocketing after every meal. Immediately use a toothette to remove remaining food particles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?