Skip to main content

Sweet Smell of Success

Pleasantly surprised today, a nurse relayed a message from the Director of Nursing, a change is coming.

The other night, a patient care technician (PCT) sprayed a heavy duty air freshener down the hallway...nearly suffocating me. Unfortunately, it was not the first time. I have ALS, amyotrophic lateral  sclerosis, a neurological degenerative disease which has progressed far enough that it has impacted my breathing. Furthermore, I am a quadriplegic, meaning all four of my limbs are paralyzed, and unable to speak intelligibly.

I live in a skilled nursing facility, also known as a sniff (SNF). I rely 100% on caregivers to attend to my every need. Imagine my dilemma, I have approximately 10% Forced vital capacity (FVC), Meaning that is all the air that I can breathe, compared to the 110% that I started with. Now, I'm contending with toxic pollutants invading my hospice room. Insult to injury, I cannot escape nor can I tell anybody to close the door and open a window. I'm desperately trying to use my eye gaze-operated speech generating device, to communicate to the first caregiver that answers the call bell. My lungs are burning; I can hardly breathe. I can taste it, now.

I'm so incensed by the senseless, potentially life-threatening nature of this situation, I fire off an email to the boss. Uh oh! Tired, threatening emails sent in the heat of the moment, take a whole other meaning 24 hours later; What did I do?

Apparently, my complaint highlighted a problem, whose time has come. The facility will get a whole new way to deal with odors, an ionizer.

I just wish I was not such a b**ch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...