Skip to main content

Patients

I think ALS is what one gets when one prays for patience. I don't actually recall praying for patience, but I thought about praying for patience. That must have counted.

I number among that neurotic bunch of people who believe we have a daily reprieve on our alcoholism, based upon our spiritual condition. Indeed, I've logged over twenty years sober and clean. I like to say that I learned how to pray in my 12-step program, but that is not completely accurate. I learned how to pray as a child in that rout manner: 
God is great. God is good. Let us thank Him for our food. Amen.
I also learned to say nighttime prayers:
God bless mommy and daddy, and Grandma and Grandpa...
My foray into Born Again Christianity, in my teens, left me feeling like a fraud upon my return home to a more hedonistic household.  Therefore, I credit my 12-step program with teaching me the nuts and bolts of praying right. Thanking God for all the blessings in my life. Not giving Him my laundry list of wants and desires. And, right or wrong, I learned never, EVER, pray for patience.

Having ALS is a consistent downward spiral. My losses are innumerable. To refresh, I need help with every aspect of daily living. Essentially, I'm a quadriplegic living in a skilled nursing facility, receiving hospice care. Some might say, Takin' up space, waitin' ta die. For the record, that is not how I feel.

Patience is a requirement if I want to have a good day. Sometimes an entire day is too much to hope for; sometimes I need to focus on exercising patience for an adult diaper change.

Whenever I'm approached with, You're such an inspiration! I think about the poor caregivers that have been on the receiving end of my very last recognizable curse word. How about asking them if I'm an inspiration? Some days I figure I rate pretty darn high on the going-to-hell-o-meter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...