Skip to main content

Lousy Wit It

Flop goes my head, muscles have given up the ghost in the left side of my neck. Another day in the life of the ALS patient. I'm not sniveling so much as documenting for posterity.

Losing my neck muscles is problematic in the sense that it's difficult for caregivers to place my head properly.  Additionally, caregivers operate on old information; they don't really get the progressive nature of my disease. Consequently, my head doesn't get properly supported.

I'm struggling with my toes curling as my tendons contract, my muscles have died. It was so much better when my husband curled my toes!

I may have to resort to wearing glamorous moon boots lined in genuine simulated sheepskin.  I spend 99% of my time lying or laying in bed. As a result, the skin at my heels is getting sensitive to pressure and my left knee and thigh are in near constant spasm. Both conditions are painful.

It's winter in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, with winter comes dry humidity. And I'm suffering the effects. I have the dryest skin of my life and a bad case of eldersnow. What is eldersnow? I dare say you can figure it out. With it, I have a worsening scalp issue, itching and burning to the point that I suspected lice. I'm delighted to report that I don't have that condition. And I have a brand new prescription for dandruff shampoo. Woo-hoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?