Skip to main content

Death and Taxes

Ya got me! Blatant false advertising; I have no intention of talking taxes. In my defense, I figured nobody would read a post titled Upon My Death. Am I right? 😼 ...Not that tax is sexy...
My plan was to cremate my bodily remains, such as they are, after the ravages of ALS. Not unlike my baby sister, who succumbed to cancer, I figured it was my one last chance to attain a smokin´ hot body.

In an effort to make sense of the unimagineable, my death, I gave in to the romantic notion, like the ancient Egyptians, I would bind myself to another being in the afterlife. I extracted a promise from my husband, to mix my cremains with the cremains of my precious cat, Gracie, who was my babe in arms, until my arms gave out from muscle wasting. From there on out, it was his decision on whether he was gonna shlep my ashes around or if he was gonna plant me in the ground, with or without him.

However, I'm a voracious reader, now thanks to ALS and audiobooks, a voracious listener, and I read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. An idea was born; I want to donate my body to science. I like the idea of recycling; reduce, reuse, and repurpose. Why take up valuable and finite space in a mausoleum or cemetery? Or even sit me on the shelf in an urn; reduced to an obligation to dust.

Personally, I would much rather allow my earthly body to go on to continue serving humanity.
It would please me to think of my body living it up in an afterlife. Specifically, I want to go to a teaching hospital, so I could be used to teach doctors of the future their skills. I could potentially be used to educate young minds to learn the end result of a hideous, terminal illness, or I could be used for honing surgical skills, or I could be useful to give practical experience to dental students.

Perhaps I could fall into the hands of an unscrupulous wash-out, who Snapchats me during a colonoscopy, and it goes viral, for whatever reason, and I end up on MTV's Ridiculousness with Rob Dyrdek, Steelo Brim, and Chanel West Coast.I mean, whatever, I'm dead. What do I care? I meant well.

I mean, my hope is that I do not end up as Soylent Green, (look it up, you f*n millenials!). But, the thought of a Tibetan sky burial, where they place your body high on a mountaintop, to become food for the critters, particularly carrion birds, is strangely appealing.

As author Mary Roach portends it is, ultimately, what your surviving family members can live with. I wouldn't want to exacerbate the grief of my family. My vote, if you're counting, is to go to the local teaching hospital. Family, let the discussion begin... .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?