Skip to main content

Tina's Grandpa

Grandfather drove bus in Hollywood during the golden age, "You go Vilshure, you go Wine?", the little Jewish men would ask of him. He was a very attractive, well-pressed man about town, intent upon rising above his humble, poor, dustbowl beginnings.

Salt of the Earth from rural Kansas, working as a fry cook, he met and married my beautiful, young grandmother from Oklahoma, who was working as a carhop. I recall a photograph of her in a bathing suit, doing the splits; Grandma was quite the looker and a magnet in her own right.  Soon after marriage, off to California they went, to make a better life.

Grandfather worked as a fry cook, a busdriver, and joined the United States Navy. He never expounded on his military service to his curious, young granddaughter, other than to share his meager service photographs, one in his dress whites and the others, snapshots of him, playing his trumpet in a military band. Occasionally, he'd bust out his trumpet, whereupon I'd beg and wheedle a tune out of him.

Obviously, he and grandmother had children because I exist to relate my experience. My mother, the firstborn of two children was born in the summer of 42; my uncle came along a few years later. Grandpa drove bus during mom's growing up years then, drove truck for Hadley Auto Transport, hauling Ford Motor Cars. He would move up into management, becoming terminal manager of key hubs in San Jose´and Salt Lake City, then Anaheim, California (the land of Disney).

In the fall of 1962, my mother made him a grandfather and a romance was born. I idolized my grandfather and to look at the old colorized black and whites and kodachromes, his scrinchy Germanic face beamed in an unadulterated grin, it was obvious that he felt the same.

The archetypical businessman-by-day: fresh dry-cleaned suit, button-down shirt, pressed by grandma, and color-coordinated, wide tie; tie tacs and cuff links, his only jewelry, beside his rose-gold and diamond wedding band; linen handkerchief in his right front pocket; the aromas of Old Spice and Tareyton cigarettes clinging to him.

I lived to be in his presence, sit in his lap, do the yard work, empty his ashtray, whatever put me in his orbit. He was my world. I loved the times I went to "work" with him. He brought me in on the weekend day, usually on Saturday, and plunk me down, at his secretary's desk. I couldn't wait to get my mitts all over the office machines, but I was limited to the typewriter and adding machine. Grandpa kept me leashed and away from the teletype, with it's constant typing of cryptic messages. It was like magic.

I can still picture their Salt Lake City split-level home, the living room, the two bedrooms, the carpeted kitchen, the full basement, the back yard, and the neighborhood. In fact, I dream of it, often, these days. I wanted to live with my grandparents.I guess I still do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...