Skip to main content

Close-Knit Family

I have viewed my family as somehow defective most of my life. (There, I've said it.) I have always longed for the close knit family that loves and supports each other (like the Walton's). I have been a victim of the delusion that everyone else has what I want in this regard. Isn't that just me?!

I don't know how good that I've got it. Yesterday, I shoe-horned my butt out the door and drove on down to my local yarn store where who was awaiting my arrival? Two members of my family. My mother and my youngest sister who share my love of knitting and fiber as well as my compulsivity with this pursuit.


How lucky am I to share this pursuit which borders on addiction with members of my own family? AND how lucky am I that we knit for each other pretty regularly? I've made socks and scarves for my sister. My mother has knitted up socks for both of us girls (my third sister does not get our interest in fiber at all) as well as afghans, scarves, ponchos, and such. My mother asked me to knit up a headscarf for her yesterday and bought the yarn and a button after trying on two that I knitted up for someone else. Again, I ask...How cool is that?

I guess put in that perspective...I have a close-knit family and today I am appreciating that fact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...