Skip to main content

My Day Begins

Began my day in the usual manner, awaken (rolling over to grasp the bedside grab bar to assist) align my hips and kick my legs out to rock up to sitting position, toilet (with or without help depending on energy and bedclothes), swallow a bunch of capsules and tablets (supplements) with water, sit down to apply my make-up in a modified routine (using built-up brushes and powders - still using Mary Kay Cosmetics for the most part.  Also a handicap shower chair at the open sink cupboard for my feet serves as my make-up table).  Husband mixes up my AAKG powder with juice and sets me up with breakfast, usually yogurt or warmed-up steel-cut oats.  I sit down to eat.  No longer  capable of eating on-the-fly.  Each bite is an effort to raise my fat-handled curved silverware to my mouth (with my non-dominant left hand) and then I must be mindful to chew and swallow with great care lest I choke or my swallow mechanism misfires.  Go back to brush my teeth with the SoniCare(R) toothbrush, seated with elbows on the counter.

Get dressed with the help of my husband, wearing underwear I don't want to wear, and sweatpants I would normally only wear to the gym and t-shirts or sweatshirts.  No more business suits, dresses, high heels or even mid-heels.  My choices are limited to ease of dressing and bigger is better for others to help me.  Flats, consisting of running shoes, leather scuffs, or flip-flops are my height of fashion.  (Sigh, even these choices will go away one day.)  More pills and tablets, placing the smallest in my spoonful of breakfast, to trigger the swallow reflex (and not choke).  A little meditative reading and prayers and I am ready to begin my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?