Skip to main content

Challenge Accepted

.Have you heard of Ice Bucket challenge? It is an activity that somebody started to promote  ALS awareness and to challenge friends and family to contribute monetary donations to help fund research to find a cure for ALS. Well, it appears to have taken off like wildfire, or should I say, gone viral, through social media thanks to Facebook and Twitter. And most recently, thanks to celebrities, sports figures and teams, musicians,.Local news teams, major networks, etc. This is such a boon to the ALS community! We need the exposure so desperately. This disease not only devastates the sufferer physically, but emotionally, and financially as well. Generally the sufferer declines so rapidly, family and friends have trouble keeping up with the changes.

Charitable contributions most often go to higher profile diseases who are also deserving, but ALS has no treatment nor cure. Only a series of unrelenting declines. ALS is considered a relatively rare disease as 30,000 people in the U.S. At any given time have the disease. However, approximately 5,000 new cases are diagnosed each year and sadly, about that many die each year.It is believed that ALS is not incurable, just underfunded. The underfunding is due to a lack of understanding of the disease. The interest generated by this exposure is invaluable not to mention the money raised which will go directly to research to battle the deadly disease.

On that note, I want to do my part and am announcing my intention to participate in the challenge. Of course, I will need help since the ability to hold and lift an ice bucket has long since left me. .Wouldn't you know, the first caregiver I asked to help me, was thrilled to also do the challenge and thought we should invite other caregivers as well as management. Next thing I knew the executive director is at my side offering to support and participate in the challenge. Woo-hoo! The date is set...

Friday, August 22, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?