Skip to main content

No La-Dee-Dah

Make no mistake, a nursing home is a tough place to be. Most of us do not plan to be here. It may never even enter our minds. I was wondering if we would have to put my mother in a home. But I surely did not figure I would be in one.

I've had very little experience with death and dying. Ours was not a close-knit family therefore we did not see the natural progression of life through the aging process to the inevitability of death. .Grieving was limited to the loss of friendships and the parting of my beloved grandparents after summer vacation. As a military family, we moved often and without warning thanks to parents who thought it easier to spring the upheavals upon us. I came to believe that all connections to people were temporary and short term.


As a result, I was ill-prepared to deal with death as an adult. Nor was I much good at building long-term relationships. At the nursing home, there is much death to deal with. In my eight months here, I have lost many acquaintances I have made quick connections with. Mr. Kendall, who shared three meals a day with me at the same table and even flirted with me despite his 80 years. Ms. Lorna Ford, a former nurse and Harley Davidson rider, who proved to me that it's never too late for love by Sharing her own story of love and marriage in the nursing home. Thomas Goff, who gave me a wonderful compliment one late night when his calls for help went unanswered. Sherill, the 103-year-old who I enjoyed calling "Cutie" because of the way his face lit up with his jack-o-lantern smile. Most recently, a woman my own age died suddenly and unexpectedly. Michelle Manning was happily discharged to go home. Two days later, she hides her car in the back lot of the nursing home and takes a seat like she still lives here. When she is discovered she is checked out and goes out in an ambulance. We never see Miss Michelle again. It's hard to lose these people who become friends. Evidence of our mortality is unnaturally in our face every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?