Skip to main content

Down the Rabbit Hole

I've told tales about how my family abandoned me in my hour of need. Unfortunately, they are true. However, I think it's important to let you hear about what my family had to endure as we went down the rabbit hole of fast-progressing ALS with a side of FTD (frontotemporal disease).

It must have been June 2013 that I last felt relatively normal. My father, stepmother, and stepbrother came out from  Ohio for a visit. I was using a manual wheelchair but able to self-transfer. I thought I was handling life's challenges well. Although, I was blithely cutting people out of my life for what I percieved as grave infractions.

First to be cut was my sister, the one related by blood and closest in age to me. She and I have always had very different personalities and have clashed many times on a variety of subjects. This time it was following a shared vacation to Maui. I'm an avid photographer and took many photos despite failing strength and coordination in my arms, hands, wrists and fingers. Each night I patiently combed through every photo, checking quality, composition, applying labels, cataloging, and posting the best to Facebook.When we returned, I set about working on some collages and was particularly pleased with the one I made of this sister and her husband. I posted my creation to Facebook then sat back to receive the kudos. What I got was complaints about the provider I used between my sister and her best friend. Couple my disappointment with a long vacation, close quarters, and very differnt personalities and I was just done..

Done was my operative word. I looked through the lens of "how is this serving ME? " and I got big on setting boundaries. Healthy activities if instituted properly. Damaging and alienating, if done wrong.  I let every tiny irritant drive me crazy and I felt that I owed it to myself to purge all negativity from my life.I kept thinking, "Life is too short for _______. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?