Skip to main content

100%er

"Only step one where we made the 100 percent admission that we were powerless over alcohol, can be practiced with absolute perfection."  TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS P. 68

I don't keep it a secret that this is not my first run at sobriety. It's important for me to be honest and real. Besides, I doubt I would have the intimate understanding I have today as a result Of "failing" the first time. My first admission of powerlessness, over 20 years ago, was the best I could offer at the time. I thought I was sincere. Years later I would realize that I held reservations with regard to my life being manageable by me.

For me, that reservation worked it's way through my pysche for over the course of a year. Even though I came to believe in a Higher Power and turned my will and life over, wrote out my fourth step, shared it with my sponsor, I went up to and including making amends. But, my foundation, step one had a crack that made a hole for my disease and my denial to come charging through. I stayed "out" for about 3 months and I wish I could tell you it was worth it. It was not. My disease had progressed and I sunk lower on my bottom. I got all my  misery refunded.

When I came back, I had to do it different. This time I had to surrender 100 percent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?