Skip to main content

Vacation Eye

1What was your most memorable vacation? Who were you with? What did you do? How did you get there?

. The truth is that I've been fortunate enough to go on many vacations in my life. I've got a wanderlust a mile wide. I would rather travel than do anything else. I derive energy, enthusiasm, and inspiration from moving through space to the next destination. Observing local flora, fauna, sights, attractions, and experiences are my motivators.

Roadtrips have been my mainstay and my joy but there's nothing quite like flying long distance To land in a new place without the incremental change in climate, topography, flora, or fauna. I've flown into two vacation spots, Alaska and Hawaii. Between the two, vacationing with my husband in Maui is the best.

From the time we disembark the airplane, we know we are on v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n.We left snow, dark, and cold weather behind to emerge in sunshine, warmth, and humidity. .We collect our baggage, pick up our rental car, and hit the road to get to our hotel. We've been blessed with my parents and sister and brother-in-law owning timeshare condominium properties they were willing to share. As a result, we've stayed in Ka'anapali, Kahana, and Kehei at different times. And they've been excellent accomodations with swimming pools, on the beach (or across the street from it), and close to cool stuff.

A big perk on any trip for me is the food. I'm big on sampling local cuisines and eating where the locals eat. This penchant has allowed me to discover places like the Aloha Mixed Plate for reasonable favorites like Kalua Pork,Shoyu chicken, Lau Lau, and Haupia for dessert. I've enjoyed Loco Moco, an odd combination of hamburger patty, rice, egg, topped with brown gravy, an unlikely Hawaiian breakfast. It's quite good! I adore poke' and the best is not at a fancy, expensive restaurant. It's in the back of of a grocery in Kehei. I've chowed down on fresh Ahi Poke' for breakfast more than once.

One of my best vacation breakfast meals was Bananas Foster Pancakes with Coconut Syrup at the Kula Lodge near Haleakala National Park. Incredible! Of course, some of the best banana ever is on the road to Hana. Hawaiian Shaved Ice is awesome and should not be considered a snow cone. Had I known I'd eaten at least one a day. Regrettably, I discovered this truth on the last day of my last visit to Hawaii.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?