Skip to main content

Super Bowl Sunday

Today is the Super Bowl. My team, the Seattle Seahawks, play the New England Patriots in Arizona. Even though the game is miles away and I'm stuck in the hospital, Seahawks fever is running high. The nurses, patient care technicians, hospitality aides, and visitors are sporting their favorite player's jerseys. I plan on the same if I can get someone to put it on me.

Out of my window overlooking the Montlake Cut and Lake Washington, I spied a small plane towing a blue and white "12", the flag of the fans of the Seattle Seahawks. This city's going to erupt if we win the Super Bowl for the second time!

I'm waiting for my husband to arrive with the snacks. I requested Sabra hummus dip and chips. I love our football time together. I developed my affinity to football last season when I was in a nursing home. Since having ALS, I am unable to do so many activities that I gravitated to the television and hence, the sport of the season. Last year's Super Bowl was a not-to-be-missed event and I didn't miss it. It was awesome!

Well, Super Bowl XLIX was more exciting than Super Bowl XLVIII right up to the end. My team lost the Super Bowl. As a new football fan, (a little over a year), I have to say that I now know the agony of defeat. Although, my team lost, they played their hearts out and I will tell you right now that I am a Seattle Seahawks fan for life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?