Skip to main content

Zoom Out: Bark, Tree, Forest

Talking to a caregiver the other day, she mentioned that she "hates Facebook because it's so fake." I've heard the same charge made about funerals and memorials.

I have a different point of view. Look closely at a tree; not very attractive if is has a big ole burl blemishing the appearance. What about broken branches from the last storm? And the gaping hole, former home of birds, current home for squirrels. What a flaw! N.ow that I think about it, it's not symmetrical. Hardly a perfect specimen with bugs burrowing into the bark and vermin running about, up and down the trunk. Yikes!

Now step away from that tree, see it with fresh eyes. You see it more generally; it's a tree, home to birds and squirrels, a food source for woodland creatures, a focal or backdrop for the nature photographer. Perhaps it gets harvested, becomes furniture or lumber to build a home. And that ugly burl? Goes to the craftsman to become stunning art. Maybe it falls to the woodsman's chainsaw to fuel the stove and warm the hearth or feed the bear as it decays on the forest floor.

Whether that tree is a loner or one in a community, it is important and worthy simply for being. It is worth honoring for what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...