Skip to main content

Sciatica Sucks II

"You don't know what it's like!"

My husband and I laughingly bat that sentiment back and forth since before we were married. It began when my husband overlifted at work, herniating his lower spine. When his disc herniated, it blew into the spinal capsule to impinge upon the sciatic nerve. It knocked my normally stoic, German-descendant to his knees! Over and over, my husband would grit his teeth, attempt a grin, and recite, "You just don't know what it's like!" and "Nobody's ever hurt this bad!".

If you've never experienced sciatica, "you're very blessed, indeed". It's a deep painful, sharp, numbness that can affect butt cheek(s) and/or leg(s). In the case of my husband, the top of his foot and toes permanently lost sensation due to nerve damage. He, eventually, had surgery alleviating the pain, so effectively, that post-op he declared that he no longer needed the heavy pain medications he was using to cope with debilitating pain.

Now, it's my turn to whine, snivel, and bitch. As a result of the ALS and being bedridden, I'm having the bout with sciatica. How could I get sciatica when I, obviously, don't do any heavy lifting, you ask? First, my muscles are atrophying (dying); Also, my hospital bed and caregivers torque my back regularly. Curse of the disease, my caregivers aren't brutes for the most part.

How bad is it?

You just don't know what it's like! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...