Skip to main content

ALS Gifts: People, Part 2

Had I not gotten ALS, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet so many new and interesting people, nor had the opportunity to get to know the heart of the people already in my life.

People with ALS that impacted me but lost their battle.

Where do I begin? Gail Dubose came to our support group meeting in Kent only a few times but I remember her. She relied on her ex-husband before going into assisted living, then she was gone. I never would've known had I not "friended" her on Facebook. Notification of her funeral came in the form of a Facebook event post by her surviving family members. Unfortunately, my husband had a belly full of ALS and wouldn't take me to the service.

I got to know people from all over the world thanks to the website www.patientslikeme.com.
It was there that I met so many PALS; we support each other to the bitter end, we can't help but become invested in each other, we're on the same plight. But this support comes with a downside, without that cure, we lose our precious friends. Lots of them!! I'll name a few that touched me and that I grieve:  Bob Anderson, Peggy Freed, Patricia Mistretta Sciarrino...

This past week I lost a PALS, a person here at the hospice facility, a person whom I related to but was unable to communicate with directly due to our mutual communication challenges. Peter Roane from Maine. A man who built his own homes, built and raced cars, and jumped from perfectly good airplanes. I know precious little about this adorable man but I did see intelligence and a wicked sense of humor. He hugged with his legs and spoke volumes with his eyes and smile. I liked him, a lot. When I was more mobile, I drove down the hall to his room to watch NASCAR when I remembered (once) and to watch Game of Thrones (once). I hesitated to overstay my welcome and become a pest. Then, I could no longer pilot my own wheelchair. My hope is that he knew the extent of my esteem for him. I miss him so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...