Skip to main content

Food Fight

23.1Raised some Hell today. Do not f**k with my food.

I thought I was dealing with enlightened, educated, patient-centered people at this care facility. I am in control of my mental faculties and I've demonstrated that I am willing to modify my diet to keep safe, within the limitations of the declines I'm experiencing, as a result of ALS. I understand that any misstep on my part could result in my death. I accept that and am willing to absolve the facility of any responsibility. Therefore, I believe I should be in control of my preferred diet. I'm on advanced dysphasia as I was coerced to "try" it. Now that I've experienced and found it to be unsafe for my "brand" of dysphasia, I wish to revert back to the regular diet menu. However, the management denied me that basic human right and dignity.

The following is my argument as to why their idea of Advanced Dysphasia Menu is actually more unsafe:
"Your advanced dysphasia menu is unsafe. Jello, lettuce, rice, and mixed consistency items should not be offered. Cut up toast and breads dry out and do not lend themselves to ease of applying butter and jam and crust removal for cohesion. No consistency in preparation of commonly-offered dishes has resulted in ordering items too dry to eat. Taking away one salad item provides no purpose. It prevents me from ordering foods safe to eat like the beets and goat cheese. Additionally, grits and malt-o-meal, are too fine-grained, oatmeal is safer. Hard-boiled eggs are chokers.  Also fresh orange wedges aren't safe but canned Mandarin oranges are."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?