Skip to main content

Baby Sister

Today is my sister's birthday. It may well be her last birthday. We should be throwing her a blow-out party...But we're not. We are unable to. She has cancer, multiple myeloma to be precise. And after three years of fighting, coping with chemo and radiation, embracing baldness, and keeping a positive attitude, she appears to be losing the war.

Multiple myeloma is a tough row to hoe; it leaches calcium from the bones, weakening them. We found out about the cancer following a sudden and catastrophic spinal fracture out of the blue. One minute she's bundling groceries into our mother's house...CRACK...groceries drop to the porch. Fast forward to today, she sits in a room at the University of Washington Medical Center, recovering from water in the lungs, discovered during the administration of a new drug.

She's been given 3 to 6 months to live. There it is. It's been declared.

My baby sister, Renee' was wanted. My mother and stepfather wanted another baby to add to our blended family. Hell, I wanted a baby girl added to our family. Our family babysat a neighbor's child and lavished attention on her every chance we got. Her name was Renee. A few months past my tenth birthdate, we got our very own Renee'; we couldn't have been happier. A bald, bubbly, happy baby born at the very same hospital I was. She was our living baby doll and she quickly grew into a golden-haired cherub.

There would be trouble in paradise; babies grow into toddlers who need constant supervision. I was taught to change diapers and feed my baby sister. Learning was fun but punishment weighed heavy. After I was made to soak my own underpants and wear them for an hour (my punishment for not noticing my sister needed changing). Corporal punishment and humiliation soured me on the novelty. From that point forward until I left home, she was alternately, a joy and a burden. It would take adulthood to realize that my sister wasn't the problem. Pity.

At eighteen and living on Queen Anne Hill, using string and a tiny crochet hook, I created a delicate wedding dress for her Barbie. In home economic's sewing class, I made her a darling dress. I can say that I resented her but, truth is, I loved her much more. She was my first baby girl, after all.

Through the years, we saw one another infrequently, living miles apart. When she finally moved home, we got to find commonality. Going to the Washington State Fair in Puyallup together, eating scrumptious fair food, riding the ferris wheel, posing with storm troopers, we had a great time!She learned how to knit and joined a Knitting Group with our mother and I. We went on two LYS tours (Local Yarn Store) together, taking in the countryside, discovering new shops, fibers, and projects. I knit for her and she knit for me.

We took a trip to the tulip fields and walked Roozengard, Renee', our sister Dawn, and I. Thank God for our time together. There was a force out there that drew us together. An intelligence that knew we needed to come together and spend some time with each other. I got to get to know my baby sister as an adult. I got to travel with her to Hawaii. I got to trade books with her and make fun of her poor housekeeping and hoarding tendencies. I got to worry about her health. I got to see her fall in love. I got to eat her barbecue chicken, blue cheese dressing, fondue, and vodka spaghetti sauce.

Although she, herself, was ill, she came to see me and painted my nails. She is a very special baby sister. I love her very much and always will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...