Skip to main content

Grateful For My Girl

I'm so fortunate! My daughter loves me.

What's the big deal? It could very easily have gone the other way. And I dare not forget it.

True, I made certain she had good foods, plenty of rest, dressed adorably, and got lots of hugs and kisses. For her birthdays, I learned to decorate cakes and made an amazing Minnie Mouse cake, as well as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cake when they were all the rage. Halloween, I sewed her costumes, beginning with a bunny costume I modified from a Cabbage Patch Kid's pattern. Next, came a voluminous sweet clown costume from fuschia pink, royal purple, and sky blue satin fabrics. That one was sized so abundantly and was so beloved that she wore it a few years until the witch costume. Yeah, I made that one, too.

We checked out stacks of books from the library and cuddled up to read them in our overstuffed recliner. I taught her the fine art of armpit farts, in front of the mirror one hot summer day. We bowled together on a league. I jumped at the chance to help out in her kindergarten class. I was all about my baby girl.

And then, alcohol happened. Late nights at the bowling alley weren't enough; they stretched into days; it led to infidelity; it led to broken hearts and homes. Alcohol brought me lower companions, and opened up a wealth of dead end jobs. It allowed me to stand idly by while I lost my dream home. It made bad decisions feel better, like boyfriends and a geographic.

A struggle to survive post-divorce, the visitation emotional rollercoaster, and my night time, weekend fix of social and mind-altering drink. Stuck in self-reproach over the loss of my life, the loss of my daughter, the loss of my husband, the loss of my home. I long to see her, to hold her, to care for her. She arrives then I'm reminded of all that I've lost. I need to drink. I need my daughter. I need to drink.

Sobriety. Meetings. Steps. Amends. New outlook on life. Bought a condo, our own space. Tools to live my life on life's terms. My girl visits and life is getting better.  We cuddle under warm blankets while reading the Student's Bible, not turning up the thermostat. Still difficult to put her on airplane, but I do it anyway. Then hit a meeting. I'm still around questionable people, doing questionable things, not come into my own, yet. I relapse.

Sobriety, reprisal. Morals and values firmly in place, eviction of bad influences from my life. Bought my Harley Davidson, joined Harley Owner's Group and Ladies of Harley. Brought her into the wonderful world of Harley Davidson, leather, rides, rallies, Broken Chains, Christian Motorcycle Association, church and sunday school, and thanks to her, we made some life long friends.

When my daughter learned how to drive she proudly announced her achievement. When she asked to drive my Subaru Outback, I turned the keys over to her and took the passenger seat. Our eyes were huge and our legs were shaky when she almost hit the curb making her first left turn. And I kept her tattoos secret from her father, when she got them after he forbade her. I saw no reason she shouldn't have the tasteful tats she wanted.

I met and married my husband, her stepfather, a man she seems to have bonded with easily. We were not able to pay for college but we did buy her books. We were extraordinarily proud of her grades! She helped me understand algebra when I was in college. I was honored to be invited to and attend both her high school and college graduations. I was first in my family to earn a college degree, an associate's degree, but I was pleased when she outdid me, earning her bachelor's.

Equally, post-graduation she landed the job that I had at the pinnacle of my career, executive assistant to the president of an aerospace company. Again, she surpassed her mama and once again, I couldn't be more proud! I was blessed to be able to watch her in action right after my diagnosis. She seems to have an energy and a focus that I only aspired to achieve. She knows exactly who she is.

Learning to crochet at my favorite local yarn shop opened up a new hobby for her, but she went on to teach herself how to knit. She's talented like that! Though the years, she took pride in cooking things for my husband and I. Buche d' Noel, teriyaki steak, cookies, etc. But she outdid herself when we visited her for Christmas the year I got diagnosed with ALS. Also, that year she stunned me with a blue and white knit afghan (ALS colors).

Nowadays she visits me in a nursing facility, every few months as a matter of fact. Besides my husband, she's my most frequent visitor. And so thoughtful. She spends nights with me, stocks me up with goodies, acts as my tech guru and cooks for me.  And she lives two big states away. I'm so very lucky!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?