Skip to main content

Terrorist Threat?

ALS is a real terror, or maybe it's a terrorist. I mean, it came out of nowhere, launching an insidious attack on all parts of my body. (Actually, all parts of our bodies, as I am not the only one.) ALS attacks everyone of us differently but it is never kind and it ain't pretty.  It's devastating. And that does not describe it.

The only experience I'm really qualified to report on is mine. ALS symptoms first manifested in my right index finger. I noticed that I lost the ability to pinch a binder clip open. Then I realized I was having difficulty lifting heavy files from the upper file cabinets. Next, it occurred to me that  I'd been making an unusually high amount of typographical errors, particularly those letters typed with the index finger. I was unusually stressed, sniping at my husband, and fed up with my tax-evading employer. I finally broke under the pressure, telling my boss that I refused to commit fraud on their behalf, sealing my fate with the company. (I digress.)

On any given day, I could be overwrought with emotion. I was indignant with my boss' choices ;outraged with a lack of customer service I sorely needed; panic-stricken when my job was threatened (went to the hospital over it).  Physically, some days I could not lift my right arm without parathesia, muscle twitches (fasciculations), muscle spasms. Other days I'd be bent over in pain like I was in a car accident, hobbled-up and limping. I was compelled to file a labor and industries claim thinking I had carpal tunnel syndrome. If only...

That was only the beginning. My husband says I was wheelchair bound inside of six months, actually it was 10 months and what a ride!  I don't recommend it. I blew through limping, cane, walker, manual wheelchair and graduated to the "show", a loaned Permobile power wheelchair. .My emotions went to extremes. I would buckle in grief when my sister or mother flaked and failed to pick me up for water aerobics. I cried mournfully at sober meetings and anytime I told someone that I had Lou Gehrig's Disease. I laughed at inappropriate times, like when a man was telling us about his wife who passed from ALS. Awkward! And excruciatingly humiliating. My anger flared. My lust thankfully only poured forth on my husband. (I hope he enjoyed it.)

Perhaps, ALS is more like a shock and awe war that will not quit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?