Skip to main content

A New Freedom

"We are going to know a new freedom..."  ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS P. 83

I used to look forward to getting off work so I could go drink. I would sit on a barstool talking to other patrons about things I used to do and things I was going to do. Funny thing though, the more I drank, the less I did. When I wasn't drinking, I was thinking about drinking but I would never have admitted it.

Recently divorced, I made a geographic from California to Washington state. The courts decided on joint custody and since I chose to leave the state, I got visitation. When my daughter visited it freaked me out. I felt like such a failure as a mother, losing a marriage and a beautiful home. Living with my parents at 30. I was such a loser! Guilt, shame, and remorse was my constant companion though I kept it cloaked with false bravado. I would plan to spend every waking moment with her but I would get a case of nerves and I'd have to go fortify my courage and ego. Invariably, I got overwhelmed as her departure date approached and though she was still there to hug and kiss, I needed the comfort of the bottle. After she left, I had to anesthetize my fresh grief and sometimes seek other comfort. I was locked in the grip of alcoholism.

Working the steps with a sponsor showed me the path to that new freedom. I was able to dissect my life, see the errors of my thinking, and made my amends. Getting sober released me from that senseless prison.  Today, I am grateful that I was able to break the bindings. I've had many satisfying years of a good marriage, replaced homes, and renewed relationships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?