Skip to main content

Cool Clear Water

.Drinking a glass of water can take on new meaning when you have ALS. With me for instance, drinking a simple glass of water is risky. The muscles in my throat and mouth have atrophied enough that I risk the water pouring right down into my lungs. For the most part, I avoid it but there is one activity that I cannot seem to avoid water. Brushing my teeth.

I know about thickened water but have you tried that stuff? It not only seems wrong, in my opinion, it tastes and feels wrong. How does one clear thick toothpaste by adding thick water? Not gonna happen. And when they flavor it, how do you get that "just brushed" feeling?

So, once in a while, I risk it. Room temperature water, straight straw, my chin tucked,and placed over a basin. The idea is that I intake water, hold it in my mouth, swish and spit into the basin. That's how it's supposed to work. My body, muscles, get confused and my swallow mechanism kicks in and...Oh no! I start to sputter, cough, and choke. Good Lord! I'm struggling for my breath. It's all very dramatic, especially when I'm gasping like a fish out of water and I'm getting a suction wand shoved down my throat.

I vow not to drink or swish with water but invariably, I am drawn back to cool clear water. Hmmmm, that pattern reminds me of something...The jaywalker. (Shout out if you get it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?