Skip to main content

Shit Happens

Living in a hospice care facility is a trip. It has it's good moments as well as bad, poignant moments, and embarrassing ones, too. This was a first, but I'll get to that soon.
.
ALS, also known as Motor Neuron Disease, gradually kills motor nuerons that control muscles. The propaganda says that the voluntary muscles are affected but my experience proves out otherwise. For example, elimination is hardly voluntary. It must be done or thou shalt burst. Eventually, we are unable to breathe. Also, not voluntary.

Anyway, back to elimination. Yeah, I'm going there. My reality, being a non-mobile, is that I am frequently constipated. Despite consciously making healthy, fiber-rich choices, I am at the mercy of deteriorating biology. My options to prevent the aforementioned, bursting, are Miralax, stool softeners, suppositories, and something called digi-stim. Dear God don't ask!

Tonight, I had yet another bout and had to resort to the dreaded suppository. I've had to trust that the nurses are adept at administering this most delicate and intimate procedure. Unfortunately, I've had it done badly at the last nursing facility I lived at. Let's just say that people with long fingernails...Well, you get it. Tonight, on the other hand, I had a more interesting experience. A male nurse did the job and it kinda went in the wrong place. What's worse is that when I alerted the nurses who were performing this feat in tandem, they actually asked if I was sure!

The bitch about ALS is that while my muscles are failing, my cognition and sensory is fully intact. I know when something goes in the vah jay jay. So, what did I do?

Laughed. I couldn't stop myself. I mean, think about it, this is the most action I've had in nearly two years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...