Skip to main content

ALS Progression Update: 2 Years 8 Months

More about me...I want to update changes I've noticed as ALS claims my body.

As you may know, I have not walked for over a year. I'm fortunate enough to be in a facility that has excellent rehab staff In this particular hospice facility, I get my range of motion at least three times per week to keep my muscles moving. Because I cannot move my muscles on my own, they contract or shorten and cause considerable discomfort and pain. Through quality staffing, I'm able to minimize the amount of drugs I take and enjoy my last days clear headed. I also enjoy therapeutic massage which complements the work of the occupational and physical therapists.

For relaxation, I enjoy the gorgeous music of the therapeutic harpist as well as meditation in my once per month ALS Association meeting or the once per week meditation group. Regardless of this amazing care, ALS progression marches on.

My face seems to be the most noticeable change besides the whole quadrapalegic thing. My mouth is mishapen as muscles expire. Indeed, my bite is altered. I cannot purse my lips together and thus cannot kiss nor whistle. Do I have to tell you that my physical voice is nearly unintelligible? Sometimes, I can't even speak above a whisper. Other times, in a panic, I can still project loudly, just not using words.

My toes are getting to look like "Barbie" doll toes as they relax. My calves have lost their shape as muscles atrophy. My belly is big as I've long since lost my abs and all of the supporting musculature. Most recently, I lost torso rigidity as those muscles fasciculated, then died. Without arm support, my torso collapses down on itself. Breathing is definitely adversely impacted.

Also relatively new, is major neck and jaw spasms. I hate to think about the change that portends. I still have limited strength and movement in my upper arms though my hands and lower arms have been toast for a long time. My fingers seem to have come back to life as they have a mind of their own. Stuttering, tremors, and spontaneous jerking and curling have been very entertaining as I sit here blogging away with my eyes.

What else can I tell you? Elimination is at the mercy of peristalsis, Miralax, and various stool softeners. And, suppositories, when all else fails. Temperature extremes are no bueno. Too hot and I can't take a breath. Too cold is painful since my muscles go into contracture and I am unable to shiver myself warm. Also, a stuffy room or a humid room doesn't lend itself to easy breathing. Turning on a fan can work wonders unless it's directly on me or running across me. Indirect air movement is the ticket.

I am told that my smile still lights up a room. That's something. I hope it doesn't go away.

Comments

  1. Sending you a cyber hug. Hope you never lose that smile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...