Skip to main content

Greatest Invention

A friend of mine and I took a look at a book this evening, Memory Journal, and read some of the prompts. Since my speech makes meaningful conversation a challenge, I assured her that I would write about them in my blog. Here ya go, Asma:

What was the greatest invention to come about in your lifetime?

Off the cuff, I answered, the computer. I mean, look at all that became possible when the personal computer came on the scene. I used an IBM Selectric to type envelopes for one of my first paying gigs for a local real estate broker in the late 70's.  I would've done a much more professional job had I been able to make corrections prior to printing. There isn't an industry that has not been affected by computers.

You mentioned the iPhone, then I kind of had to agree, especially if we're talking about any multi-functional cellphone device with any computer capablilities. And then, I looked at the device that actually bridges the communication gap that makes it possible for you and I to speak. Patient to caregiver, older to younger, Christian to Muslim, non-speaker to speaker, person to person. My eye gaze enabled Tobii Alternative and Augmentative Speech Device!

What else can top allowing me to not be locked up in my own body, a prisoner. Not able to ask you to scratch the itch on top of my head or to let you know about the spider who's taken up residence under my food table, or to tell you "Thank you for all that you do you for me and all that you are to me. I can never repay all the kindness and happiness you rain down on me. A thousand times...Thank you!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...