Skip to main content

A Happy Anniversary

Fifteen years today. My husband and I have been married for fifteen years. The majority of that time has been very good. We seemed to be well-suited to each other. Two dysfunctional people, lives warped by alcoholism, alcoholic themselves, One drinking and one not. Working Monday through Friday for the man. Riding our Harleys when we can.

An inauspicious meeting in a cocktail lounge. Being dedicated to sobriety, it was not the place I imagined finding the love of my life. God seems to have a funny sense of humor. Oh, I can imagine what you're thinking... Tina, we've read your blog before, you're always baggin' on that guy, and didn't he abandon you in your hour of need? True story and worse but I don't always share the best moments. I bask in them and soak them up.

I've never been held so tightly nor earnestly. In the beginning, when I told him that I loved him...His head would tilt to the right, his expression, surprised. Has no one ever loved this man before? Or is it something about me? Is there some thing special he sees in me?

He was the first to speak the "L" word. "I love ya!", he said. I was completely surprised by this fast admission. Does he mean it? Is this just to fill a void in conversation? Did he think I needed to hear this? Is he desperate? He's so adorable in his "white guys don't have rhythm" kind of way. And he seems so damned genuine.

I think I love him, too. But, it seems too soon. What if we're wrong? I don't want wreckage. Caution, my mind seems to say. He's not my "type", whatever that is these days! I've been on a hiatus from romantic entanglements for months now. I cannot be trusted to choose a decent man to fall in love with. So, now I go to church with a married couple on Sundays, pray, read the Bible, and concentrate on loving my single, Godly life. Riding with Christian motorcycle groups.

"Love", they tell me, "enters our lives when we're not looking for it." Surely this can't be love!

It was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...