Skip to main content

Verbal Warfare

New people taking care of me has to be the bane of my existence! I am not a good candidate for on-the-job training anymore. At least, not at night nor in a crisis situation. ALS at this stage is extremely taxing on my body. My muscle loss has so accumulated throughout my limbs and torso that minimal bodily functions have the ability to sap my strength and my patience. For example:

Two patient care technicians (PCT's) new-to-me, not their jobs, are assigned to care for me. I need to be prepared to go to bed from my power wheelchair. (There is nobody available with experience in helping me, an ALS patient. Therefore, nothing that transpires is their fault and I bear them no ill will. ) They come in all smiles and good humor (they are adorable) and I am happy to see them.

They know that they have to remove my Tobii alternative and augmentative speech device from my state-of-the-art Permobile power wheelchair. The trouble began with not knowing how to remove the expensive and critically important speech device from the mount. She asks me but I know I am unable to talk her through it. I just sit there and cringe and pray to God that it is not dropped as I doubt insurance will cover another. Prayer answered as they team up and get it clicked onto the stationary stand. (whew) Then they ask me how to remove the mount from the chair. It's incredibly easy but it looks intimidating and I know they won't be able to understand my "accent", I try anyway. They don't get it. Not to be rude, but I cannot take the energy-suck, I was already tired. I drive out into the hallway in search of someone who knows my routine. No dice! No such luck. I try again. They get it and the mount pulls out smoothly. I know lesson has been learned but this is the second time I've had to teach it TODAY.

Next comes disrobing from the waist up while in the wheelchair which I had to verbally communicate (subtract more energy from my imaginary checkbook). Because they are unfamiliar with my wheelchair, I expend yet more energy trying to explain, "turn off chair, lift up the arm troughs, pull me forward, shirt over my head, bra off, also."  Bless them, they have cheerful, on-going, self-deprecating banter. They even make me laugh (joyous energy-suck).

Night gown on, "Arms first."  Sling lift,  "Pull me forward". What color loops do we use? "Purple, purple", meaning back two loops and front two loops. I try to use this as a teaching moment to avoid the question next time. (error) "Purple, purple to the bed. Purple and black to go back." And now I've caused confusion with my accent. (So frustrating! And another energy-suck to boot.)

Now I see that they don't know my sling as they've got one strap threaded through the other, incorrect for this sling. I would just keep my mouth shut if it was purely aesthetic. Unfortunately, I fear it may cause me pain. I've learned the hard way to speak up.  I try telling them it's wrong. They think I want it to remain uncrossed. Hell no! That thing will split me like a wishbone!", I think.  I have no choice but to try explaining again, let's try it in small bites, "Lift the strap", "The strap, no, the strap", "No, other strap", "Up, no, up!", "Blue strap", "Not middle, I said blue, blue, no, blue", "see the loop? ", "Yeah, through that."  Exhausting! I am just done. My reserves are spent and though I look like a petulant child, I make the conscious decision to close my eyes and mouth and withdraw. I have no more to give. I can't even participate anymore.

Thankfully, they have my changing routine down and don't require my input until I'm changed and ready to sit up. Then there's a minimum of how far up?...How many pillows on each side?... How's your call light?... And then I need my Tobii...Another minefield of energy-sapping verbalizations that nobody understands. How many ways can you say the word, "closer"? .

It bears repeating that the caregivers are not really at fault. They help many people with diverse issues. There are only two patients in residence with ALS and we have differing issues from each other.  These two caregivers are very competent. In fact, I realize that I'm in error calling them PCT's, one is a registered nurse. They are excellent caregivers. The problem is specialized training, even PCT to PCT from shift to shift. I've been here for two months, my transition period should be over.

Comments

  1. Maybe some laminated signs on your door of various instructions that you can point to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea. I'll get on it although pointing is a ship that sailed long ago. Thank you so much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...