Skip to main content

Password, Please!

Have you ever had password problems,? If you're online, the answer is probably yes. You go through your litany of passwords until you're locked out, happen onto the correct one, or you have to reset and pick another from your litany or, God forbid, you have to make up a new one! It can be a test of patience for an able-bodied person but consider the challenges to the physically-impaired.

I have A.L.S., Amyotrophic lateral  sclerosis, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig's Disease or Motor Neuron Disease (MND). My disease process has left me a quadriplegic, and I'm fortunate enough to own  a Tobii alternative and augmentative speech device. This device enables me to communicate using eye gaze technology. It's amazing and brilliant and totally infuriating when it doesn't live up to expectations. It doesn't function exactly like your home computer, in that there are a lot of extra steps. For example, typing this blog entry requires forethought and few options for making corrections. I type a line or two, then must press 'Insert Text'. Then press another 'Insert Text' button (virtually). To access special operations, one must press the 'Link' button followed by a combination of numbers that correspond with the operation desired. Choosing the wrong key is extremely easy to do and I have to be vigilant about typos lest I choose the wrong operation. Happens all the time! I was a more accurate typist with my fingers than my eyes!!

Back to passwords. Password retrieval is nightmarish! I've spent, literally, hours plugging in passwords to end up unsuccessful, deciding to sleep on it and try again the next day. Bitter frustration has kept me from favored websites, like PatientsLikeMe for months at a time. I, currently, cannot log into GoodReads due to not remembering my FaceBook password. (I log in by logging through FaceBook.) And not having my Facebook password keeps me from viewing videos and photos and being able to change settings since the Tobii SonoKey menu tiles don't facilitate these activities.

Why not simply change the password? Then I would have get help to change the settings in the control panel because not everything is accessible by eye gaze. Asking for help is not a problem. Getting competent help that won't mess up other parts of my computer is a big problem.

Help, oh help, oh help me, please. Make better solutions for people like me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?