Skip to main content

Where was this when I needed it?

Demands made upon other people for too much at-tention, protection, and love can only invite domina-tion or revulsion. TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS p. 44

I've heard people in AA say that every question they've ever had was answered between the pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. That has not been the case for me. Perhaps, I did not know where to look. Perhaps, I wasn't asking the right questions?

Sometimes, I get my answers retroactively. Like now...The preceding quote, which actually came out of the 'Twelve and Twelve', as they say, Gives me some wisdom I needed last year when I clung so desperately to my husband when my disease caught up with me so quickly. (If you're reading this blog for the first time, I have A.L.S. And became paralyzed within eight short months. I was forced into a nursing home when my husband abandoned me a few months after that. I am currently 18 1/2 years sober.)

When I ended up abandoned, I could only see the result, not what led up to the result. Today, I can look back and see that I was a fairly independent woman who led our family more than I realized at the time and turned into a completely dependent invalid. As my husband pulled away from me, I clutched all the harder. If reason didn't work, I begged. When begging failed, I cried. When crying failed, I bullied and raged. (Granted, I was suffering from a byproduct of ALS, either frontotemporal disease or PseudoBulbar Affect which caused heightened emotions and impulsivity. That complicated the issue.) But the underlying thinking was all me.

Although, I would have ultimately ended up in some kind of facility, it need not have been so contentious and destructive on our relationship. Thankfully, my FTD or PBA got under control through the miracles of modern medicine and my fellows weren't scared off by an old folk's home, I got back to right thinking and right-er action. My relationship with my husband remains different (due to ALS) but it's loving again thanks to continuing to work the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...