Skip to main content

Eulogy

I watched a movie on Netflix, "Detachment" starring Adrien Brody, about a disillusioned substitute teacher who starts to attach to his troubled inner-city students. One of the first assignments he hands out is to write a paper on what your family would say about you when you die. I decided to take on that assignment.

Tina Flink, formerly Tina Kent, formerly Tina Angela Danner, was our child, our sister, our family. She gave us a beautiful grandchild, and a lovely niece. Tina was hard to know. She would bring us close. Inviting us into her home for family holidays; Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas then she'd be off, living her life. She loved her husband and her daughter and her cat, Gracie, And her family.

Tina was a precocious child. She carried good grades despite having to move a lot as a Navy brat. She was close to her grandparents, spending many summers with them at their home or going on roadtrips. She learned macrame´, ceramics, embroidery, needlepoint, crochet, and tole painting from her grandmother. Developed a love for lawnmowing and a bent for office work from her grandfather.

At home, she learned life skills, Real life skills of which her husband can vouch. She was a good homemaker and an excellent cook and she worked for a living.  And she learned to be strong. If you were around Tina during the time she lived with ALS, then you know that she struggled. She became more dependent than she would have preferred. And she became more outspoken and critical of her loved ones. Somehow we got the message that we did not live up to her expectations. We now understand that ALS has an emotional component that heightened her emotions and made her more impulsive. We know that she loved us.

Oh Hell! I have no freaking idea what they would say. I'm just putting words in their mouths. And most likely the wrong ones. I know my sister, Dawn, has a lot of crap to throw down. My mother, I figure, will say the nicest stuff. I hope she remembers our good times Knitting and going for tea. Our Hawaii memories aren't all bad, either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...