Skip to main content

Patience

I was asked to write a segment on "patience" of all things.This is for a staff training video. I cannot help but feel a little convicted as I am not always the best example of patience. I have thrown howling shitfits, cursed caregivers, and presented as a pain in the butt. Who would even care what I have to say on the subject?!

Then, again, who wouldn't? I've had ALS for about 3 1/2 years. In that time, I've had to overcome the reality of transforming from an active, independent woman to one who must depend upon others for every single need, no matter how personal. I've suffered and transcended physical impairment, paralysis, emotionalability, betrayal, abandonment, humiliation, discrimination, and governmental inadequacy. And, I've not always suffered graciously nor quietly. Be that as it may, the following is my contribution:

Patience.

Ironic that I should speak to patience, when I seem to have so little.

Patience is so important when dealing with neurological declines because many times we are simply unable to effectively communicate our needs for you to understand.

When you exhibit loving patience, you are able to foster a spirit of trust, especially, in the face of distress. Even if you seem to fail to diffuse a spell of temperament, (shall we say), you are setting the stage to be the trusted focal the next time a seemingly insurmountable obstacle appears.

I know this to be true for me. As a resident with ALS, I have nearly daily, imperceptible declines in muscles, which results in increasing paralysis, which affects breathing. What was effective one day, simply isn't on another. I'm  not being tempremental. I'm just trying to find my equalibrium in a rapidly-changing reality. I appreciate all the love and care you bestow upon me, even if I'm unable to say so.

Patience goes both ways. I know that I strive to be more patient with those who are most patient with Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?