Skip to main content

Grafton Novels and Me .

I've read Sue Grafton mystery novels from A - W. I've devoured them within the last few years one after the other since finally acting upon a recommendation from an acquaintance at water aerobics. I immediately connected with her protagonist, Kinsey Millhone. Not because I'm like her but because I admire her. She's a loner. Confident but not arrogant. Fit but not a super-healthy eater. Runs her own business, supports herself, doesn't need a man. Decent integrity, but not unrealistically virtuous. I like that she can and will pick a lock when it's right but not necessarily when it's legal.

I don't get her aversion to pets and children but it works for her character. I liked her observations and eventual acceptance of Ed the cat. It's beyond me why she didn't snap up the gorgeous Chaney and dump the commitment-phobe P.I. But I appreciate her not simpering about for a man. I like her habits, non-smoker, light drinker, tidy, industrious, and light exerciser.

I have not been as confident in my abilities. I've always had to have a safety net. Always had to have a mate. I never felt complete alone. I always used my mate as a mirror. If they were good, I was good. If they were desireable, then so was I. I've never been a loner but I learned how to be alone. A skill, I attained through practice at the behest of women in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. They called it "getting comfortable in your own skin". Kinsey didn't have to do that. In fact, she doesn't appear to have a drinking problem. Hella nice for her!

Kinsey doesn't have an eating problem or weight problem. She exercises regularly enough to stay in shape to do her job well. She relies on her wits and solves problems. I did that, too. I was no slacker, still not. I drive people nuts now that I cannot do for myself. I have high expectations. Kinsey allows people to be who they are. I have trouble with that. I'm upset that people don't visit me, particularly family. I hold it against them. On the eating front, I'm a foodie! And I've struggled with my weight and self-image my whole life.

I've also been tidy and industrious. Difficulty dealing with not-so-tidy caregivers in my space. I've really had to cultivate a greater degree of patience than ever before. Anyway, no great earth-shattering message here. Just some musings about one of my favorite characters and me. By the way, I just finished listening to "Kinsey and Me" by Sue Grafton. Very illuminating peek at a favored author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?