Skip to main content

Breaking Bread, er Injera , With Friends

So fortunate today, Ethiopian food with a BFF and my husband to feed me.
 
I was first introduced to Ethiopian food twenty years ago by my friend, Rita, and her husband (at the time), Darryl. My experience with Ethiopia, or it's people, was zero--unless you count images of emaciated, starving people, including listless babies with swollen bellies, on news programs when I was young. "What could they possibly eat besides the rice that humanitarian groups donated?!", I thought.

How ignorant I was!

They withheld the details, saying only that we would be eating with our hands. "What the...?" Walking through the door, I couldn't even begin to relate the scent that wafted out the door. It was utterly foreign to me--not unpleasant, just not an aroma I associated with food. And, it was smokey, not cigarette smokey, something coffee-ish and dusky spicy in fragrance. Soccer was on the television and a few men, evidently family members, drank coffee at the tiny bar.

It was a sparse establishment, not at all lavish nor cookie cutter. Travel posters, featuring Ethiopia, adorned the humble walls while second- or third-hand furnishings anchored the well-worn floor. This was not the kind of establishment I would've sought out on my own but it became one of my all time favorite restaurants.

The menu was equally foreign as I pondered an unknown language. Alichiya, gomen, misir wot, tibbs, doro, and injera. "What could these things be?" Luckily, I wouldn't have to order as my hosts relieved me of that burden. We began with tea. Much to my disappointment, hot water arrived with a bag of Lipton tea, not an exotic blend as I anticipated.

After a lengthy wait, our dinner arrived. A single chipped, enameled, round platter was hefted to the middle of the table. A bubbled, white-ish, bread-like round (injera) was topped with piles of food; deep red (misir wot) and sunny yellow lumpy mounds proved to be stewed, spiced lentils; the stewed, spiced, spinach-esque greens (gomen), also known as turnip greens; a basic pile of lettuce and tomato salad; another yellow pile obviously containing a stewed marriage of carrot and cabbage (alichiya); a centered mound of greens containing tasty chicken morsels and jalapeno slivers (gomen tibbs).

As promised, we ate with our hands. It turned out, injera is multi-purpose, as a pourous, sauce-absorbing base and the sole implement for eating. Tearing off hunks of injera, enfolding bites of the richly sauced mounds is delicious entertainment.

I have my good friends to thank for introducing me to this unique cultural experience so many years ago. I Was able to share this experience many times with my friends over the years and was even able to introduce it to others. Isn't that what it's all about?

Sharing experiences with our friends and loved ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...